RE: Nostradamus (was Re: FO. lists as tables)

Subject: RE: Nostradamus (was Re: FO. lists as tables)
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 09:27:27 -0400

Hi Paul,

I do not like to contradict but this the last statement is not true:
" People only get to use it if programmers implement it. No commercial
vendor ever implemented DSSSL and it was not even as detailed and
precise as you propose."

There is at least one commercial implementation and an open source
implementation itself reused in a free browser add-on and would be
commercial product. More info on these following item could be found in
(http://www.netfolder.com/DSSSL)

Commercial application: NetSolution which transforms SGML and XML into
PostScript and PDF formats. They have just released a new version. They are
located in Japan and would be happy to make some sales in North America.

Open Source: This is a true open source project with source code available
and an international team of programers adding value to the code pool. The
project is called OpenJade and is open to both DSSSL and XSL (if we have
some coding votonteers we would be glad to add CSS).

Free XML and SGML browser (add on to IE): The free SGML/XML browser is
called the SGML Kit and allows full transformation into HTML from either: a)
DSSSL, b) XSLT, c) CSS. This tool uses the OpenJade engine as well as the
Microsoft XSLT and CSS engines. (it is planed also to use James' XT to
replace the Microsoft XSLT as an option).

Sorry, to contradict but there is commercial products and people using DSSSL
for day to day work. It just shows that any energy taken to protect the XSL
turf by dowgrading other solutions is simply wasted energy better used to
improve our tools or to learn from good solutions others find in any kind of
language or environment.

End of reality check and back to work :-)

PS: My last comment wasn't targeted toward you Paul, simply to the thread of
discussion, not the individual, simply to the idea or concept behind
comparing any languages without objectivity and some sense of the quest for
thruth and knowledge.

Cheers.
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx