RE: Version number in XSLT namespace URI

Subject: RE: Version number in XSLT namespace URI
From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 09:22:39 -0400

At 07:52 AM 8/23/99 +0100, DPawson@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> James Clark wrote:
>leads me to wonder whether we've made the wrong decision in putting the
>>version number in the XSLT namespace URI.  Would it be more in keeping
>>with the Namespaces Rec to do:
>>
>>  <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/XSL/Transform"
>>version="1.0">
>
>Certainly makes more sense practically.
>
><xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/XSL/Transform/1.0">
>is distinctly ugly.
>Surely namespaces and versions are / should be seperate and
>distinct items of information?
>
>Was there any logical reason to combine them?

If namespaces were expected to actually point to resources, then I think it
would make lots of sense.  Each version NS could point to a
machine-readable document describing processing for that version.
Unfortunately, we don't have the infrastructure (i.e., a format for
describing such processing info) set up at this point.

You could also use resources that included information on multiple
versions, and then expect software to figure it out, but that seems even
messier.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer (2nd Ed - September)
Building XML Applications