Re: XSLT Inferencing

Subject: Re: XSLT Inferencing
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 16:08:44 +0100 (BST)

> Given an arbitrary, valid XML document,

If it's valid, you have the DTD, so you know the answers to your
questions already:-)

But if it's just well formed...

You could certainly do something along those lines but I'm not sure..

> I'm hoping that a stylesheet might
> break the back of the work before
> handing off to a human.

If the XML really is from an unknown source, perhaps something like this
is going to work, but if it is really from some DTD that you know about
(but you were hoping not to use that knowledge till later) I suspect
that having some intelligent input at the start of the process may be
more effective than having to try to hand correct any mistakes made by
this inferring process.

Of course you can do a bit of both, mave a basic DTD that infers from
zero knowledge that you may include into a stylesheet that has templates
for particular elements. So you can hand code any elements that you _do_
know about, then let the system do something with the rest.

David