Re: -xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl.................- question

Subject: Re: -xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl.................- question
From: "James Tauber" <jtauber@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 23:48:31 +0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Matt Raible <matt_raible@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> xmlns stands for XML Namespace.  It does nothing at this point.  And the
URL
> it points to does not matter, but hopefully someday it will.

Not true. It *does* do something and the URL it points to *does* matter.

xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/XSL/Transform/1.0"

says:

In this element and its children, unless overridden, elements with the
prefix "xsl" should be taken to be XSL elements.

(it actually says a little more than this as I don't say anything about
attributes, but you get the idea)

Note: the "xsl" prefix is arbitrary. The URL is *not*. So:

<x:stylesheet xmlns:x="http://www.w3.org/XSL/Transform/1.0">
</x:stylesheet>

would work as an XSL stylesheet whereas:

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.microsoft.com/">
</x:stylesheet>

would not.

James