RE: Java Extension Functions and XT

Subject: RE: Java Extension Functions and XT
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 09:29:06 +0100

The spec is very unspecific about whether extension functions can have
side-effects or not (in this case, the side-effect is remembering it has
been called). It doesn't say they can, and it doesn't say they can't.
Equally it doesn't say in what order or how often functions will be called,
so you could infer from that that the behaviour of functions with
side-effects is not well-defined.

In SAXON your code would have the effect you expect, but there's nothing in
the standard itself that entitles you to expect this behaviour.

Mike Kay