Re: XSL-WG solicits comments on FO Draft (REMINDER)

Subject: Re: XSL-WG solicits comments on FO Draft (REMINDER)
From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 12:39:09 -0400

At 01:55 PM 7/9/99 +0000, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>Stephen Deach writes:
> > The XSL-WG will be holding meetings shortly to resolve open issues with
the
> > draft. Your comments would be most helpful.
>
>what annoys me most when I am reading the spec and trying to implement
>something is that I come up against eg "See
>http://wwww.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/colors.htm#propdef-color" all the
>time. I appreciate that CSS and XSL are linked together, but could you
>not *textually* include the CSS stuff in a printable version of the
>spec? Surely we have the technology? Am I simply Neanderthal in
>working with a printed copy of the spec open on my desk next to me?

I doubt it's what you want to hear, but this might be the right time to
align the CSS and XSL property sets, separating out the definitions
Sebastian wants included into a document completely separate from both the
CSS and XSL specs.  Then both CSS3 and the XSL-FOs could incorporate them
through linking mechanisms (XLink, entities, however) for the printed
version, while ensuring that both use the same set of terms and
descriptions of their results.

Long term, of course, this would separate work on formatting properties
from the syntax used to implement them.  Seems like a good idea to me,
though I'm not sure you'll be able to pull that off in a single meeting.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer / Building XML Applications
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies
http://www.simonstl.com