result-ns (was RE: XSLT vs JSP)

Subject: result-ns (was RE: XSLT vs JSP)
From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 09:36:36 -0400

At 08:44 PM 6/27/99 -0400, Jonathan Borden wrote:>
>	It is a misconception that XSLT *only* produces XML output. In particular
>the result-ns attribute is used to direct the XSL processor to produce other
>than XML.

Yikes.  I still can't understand why anyone considers result-ns a good way
to indicate what the result syntax should be, leaving it up to every XSL
processor to keep a list of namespaces and provide code for supporting them.

Maybe if there was a pluggable module for handling result-ns, or, better, a
vocabulary developers could use to describe to the result syntax that was
somehow referenced by the XSL style sheet, this approach could work
smoothly.  Right now it feels like a random bit hanging off the side of the
spec.  Maybe it's just an escape clause, but I can't say it feels like a
'real' solution - that's probably why it's described as a 'hint' in Section 5.

Hopefully this will either grow or disappear...

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer / Building XML Applications
Inside XML DTDs: Scientific and Technical (July)
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies
http://www.simonstl.com