Re: Can XSL be used for code generation in Compilers?

Subject: Re: Can XSL be used for code generation in Compilers?
From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 13:42:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> NO. Firstly, you can not represent the intermediary code of a 'any' compiler as a
> XML document, but you can write a compiler that uses XML to represent the
> intermediary code. If the XML structure is VERY carefully designed, it would
> probably be possible to write XSL stylesheets to generate a CPU/Plattform specific
> result tree, that a _specialized_ formatter would output to either Assembler text
> or machine code.
>
> But to me it sounds like crossing the river to get water...

And besides, can you imagine the speed?  It would only take three days
to compile "hello world".  Many modern optimizations would simply be
impossible to code.

> Niclas
>
> S Manimaran wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >         If we can represent the intermediate code during a compiler pass
> > as a XML document, can then XSL be used to generate assembly code? i.e Is
> > it possible to write a XSL stylesheet for each machine architecture
> > (Pentium, SPARC etc.,) so that the assembly code for each of this
> > architecture is generated as the output when the intermediate code
> > converted to XML document is given as input to a XSL engine ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -S.Manimaran,

chuckr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic and jaunt, both FreeBSD-current.
(301) 220-2114              |