Re: Leventhal's challenge misses the point

Subject: Re: Leventhal's challenge misses the point
From: jcaruso@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Jeff Caruso)
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 13:15:05 -0400

Miles Sabin wrote:

> jcaruso wrote,
> > With XSL they get a certain amount of power and
> > control within a fairly easy-to-understand setting.
> > Almost everyone will be able to learn enough of it for
> > their purposes; e.g. something like a client-generated
> > table of contents should be within anyone's reach.
>
> Yes, but isn't that a subset of XSL which (almost)
> coincides with CSS?

No.

Perhaps "client-generated table of contents" was over-brief: I can send
an XML/XSL document and have the client software (browser) both display
the document and rearrange the content to display a table of contents.

CSS is only a formatting language: it attaches style properties to the
elements of a source document. It lacks facilities commonly found in
report generators, mail-merge programs, etc., for massaging a set of data
into a human-readable format. It assumes that process has been done by an
external program.

Regards,
 -- JeffC