Re: XSL performance problem

Subject: Re: XSL performance problem
From: Paul Prescod <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 09:43:59 -0500

Sebastien Sahuc wrote:

> Hi there,
> I know there is nothing comparable to what I'm arguing, structure of
> xml and xsl documents can sensibly affect the result, but I'm really
> surprised not to get better results.

I think that posting benchmarks without posting the stylesheet is a little
like complaining that a programming language is slow without posting the
program!

Anyhow, James Clark's XSL processor is not optimized yet. It makes sense
not to optimize while the standard is still shifting around.

Plus, we can't tell from your message how much of the time you are
complaining about is startup time. I hear you saying that you are
processing 100kb in one second. If that includes JVM startup time, XT/XP
startup time, and so forth then that sounds pretty good to me!

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

The dress code in Las Cruces New Mexico has been tightened [to] target
Gothic clothing, such as dark trench coats. "It is not a witch hunt"
Superintendent Jesse L. Gozales said. "It is for the safety of the kids
in our schools."  - Associated Press, May 16 1999