Re: XLink implemented in XSL

Subject: Re: XLink implemented in XSL
From: Paul Prescod <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 13:25:58 -0500

James Clark wrote:

> However, II think you would need some
> built-in support in patterns and expressions to make supporting extended
> links practical.

That's why I would like to be able to call macros (or named templates as
they are now called) from expressions...

> Even that wouldn't solve the problem of when an anchor
> is not a single XSLT node (ie when it's an unmarked-up string);

If characters were nodes as they are in DSSSL then an "unmarked-up string"
would just be a nodelist. Counting characters would also become easy of
course.

> the only
> way I can see to solve that is to have the anchor information in the
> data model, eg having anchor nodes in the tree.

Of course this is the right solution once official support is available.
I'm just trying to make a stop-gap.

> > But what you really want to return is
> > nodes and node lists.
>
> The current XSLT WD allows you to pass node-sets.

First, are you talking about the current public draft or the current
internal draft.

Second, do you mean that the WD allows you to return nodesets from macros
(which I don't know how to do) or allows you to pass them in (which I do
know how to do). If so, then it would make sense to be able to call them
from expressions.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

Earth will soon support only survivor species -- dandelions, roaches,
lizards, thistles, crows, rats. Not to mention 10 billion humans.
	- Planet of the Weeds, Harper's Magazine, October 1998