Re: SUMMARY: XML Validation Issues (was: several threads)

Subject: Re: SUMMARY: XML Validation Issues (was: several threads)
From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 11:55:29 -0400

At 08:22 AM 4/8/99 -0700, Tim Bray wrote:
>Good question; I can see both sides.  But in fact, Chris, I think what's
>motivating you here is less a concern for forcing validation than a
>concern for forcing the use of the external DTD for entity declarations
>& attribute defaults and so on.  Which is fine; but I think there are
>2 separate questions here:
>
> - should a document be able to ask for validation
> - should a document be able to ask for guaranteed reading of all
>   external entities
>
>Related but distinct. -Tim

And that's precisely why XML Processing Description Language (XPDL)
separates them.  See http://purl.oclc.org/NET/xpdl for details.  It also
provides a mechanism for making the readability of these features optional,
when appropriate, though the default requires the resources to be read.

At the same time, it provides similar support for other resources,
including style sheets and extensions.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies