Re: Venting

Subject: Re: Venting
From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 19:00:00 -0500

At 05:09 PM 2/11/99 -0500, you wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>
>> And honestly, why are footnotes and margin notes really the domain of the
>> W3C?  What do these ancient forms have to do with the Web?
>>

>I for one very much need to be able to use one document with different
>style sheets to produce both a printed book and a Web site, preferably
>automatically.  XML isn't just for the Web. Neither is XSL. Nor should
>they be.

But come on, really.  Is it the job of the W3C to recreate every creative
formatting that was ever used in a book, when both margin notes and
footnotes are really just plain old linked content?  Pagination, fine.  But
marginalia?

Gack.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer / Building XML Applications (April)
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies
http://www.simonstl.com