Re: Venting

Subject: Re: Venting
From: Norman Walsh <ndw@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 13:30:54 -0500

/ David LeBlanc <whisper@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> was heard to say:
| Ok, it seems apparent that the transformation component can be independent
| of the stylistic component of XSL. Is the converse true? Can you go from an
| XML document or DOM representation directly to the FO output without doing
| transformation? If not, then maybe transformation and style do need to be

No, in the general case, you cannot.

/ "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> was heard to say:
| <Reply>
| Yes you can. In fact, you can use CSS to render a XML document. In this
| case, you associate a style property set to each element (or class if you

That only works if the logical structure of my input document
matches the logical structure of my output document.  If I want
to introduce generated text or reorder the content of my source,
I need to do some transformations.

Consider the DocBook Figure element, its structure is

  <graphic fileref="somefile"></graphic>
  </figure>

If I want this rendered as

  [somefile]
  Figure 1-1: some title

I have to reorder the source content to place the figure title after
the graphic.  This is how XSL got into transformation in the first
place.

                                        Cheers,
                                          norm
--