Re: Venting

Subject: Re: Venting
From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 12:21:33 -0500

At 04:15 PM 2/4/99 +0000, Guy wrote:
>OK lets sacrafice XSL on the alter of marketing spin so you can describe
>your product as 100% XSL compliant.

This isn't simply about marketing spin - it's about separating two pieces
that don't necessarily belong together.  100% XSL right now is a figment,
and even when the spec is done, lots of applications will want the
transformation pieces with no interest in the formatting and vice-versa.
Why should we force people to take a bunch of junk that has nothing to do
with what they need or want mingled in with the parts they actually like?

>As a developer however, excuse me if I don't like the idea.

As a developer, I love the idea.  Finally, I can put the transformations to
use without having to worry about the formatting (I actually like the CSS
model), while other people who want the FOs can do that work.  We're not
tied to each other anymore, beating each other over the head because we
disappoint each other perpetually.

Cleanly layered standards are much easier to describe and much easier to
work with than piles of stuff stuck together.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer / Building XML Applications (March)
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies
http://www.simonstl.com