SGML output from XSL?

Subject: SGML output from XSL?
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 23:58:02 -0500

Hi,

<Comment>
Reading the spec for the nth time (as all XSL engine implementer has to do)
I stopped on the paragraph (Section 2.2 "StyleSheet structure")about the XSL
resulting output. The example states that the XSL style sheet can result
with a HTML document.

A HTML document is a SGML application. Fortunately all tag are ended (there
is no omitags like -o). I couldn't figure if a SGML output with a DTD having
omitags (-o things) is possible and conform to the actual specs and thus,
transform XML into SGML. As a concrete example to transform a simplified XML
document into a ATA 100 DTD or ATA 2100 DTD. But I guess that most current
implementations would have trouble with open omitags because what is in the
template would not be XML. <Question> Where can I find the XSL DTD to get
the xml:template element type. I Couldn't find it at W3.org </Question>. If
xsl:template would be CDATA then I could potentialy tranform XML into
anything which is text based.
for the XML->SGML transform I would have:
<xsl:stylesheet
  xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl"
  xmlns="http://....ATA specs URL..."
  result-ns="">
<xsl:template match="BODY">
  <tbody> <--- this element is defined as <!ELEMENT tbody - o
(colspec*,row+)>
   <xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:stylesheet>

</Comment>