Re: Existing XSL processors

Subject: Re: Existing XSL processors
From: Guy_Murphy@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 12:08:32 +0000

Aye you're right. My point being however that the first part can be
developed in isolation and has no real dependancies other than those you
choose in the initial parser design stage, as all you are doing is
producing an output tree. The second part however is reliant on a user
agent being able to actually *do* something with your output.

Yes maybe I should be using the term "user agent" rather than browser, but
when I am replying to somebody and trying to be helpful as opposed to
deliberately obtuse then I don't assume they'll understand the agnostic
nature of the term "user agent" and instead use a term I assume they will
understand "browser", here being more concerned with a user agent that can
render, as opposed to the fact that a browser can navigate links (we where
addressing FOs).

"If you also allow
hyperlinks in the formatted output to be traversed, then you have a new
browser."... Here you are describing essentially... *if* the user agent
supports what you're outputing... hence the second part is pretty much up
to whether or not there are any user agents supporting FOs. To my knowledge
(I assume there must be projects out there that I haven't heard of), there
is only FOP producing anything renderable from FOs at present.

So I'll ammend what I initially said to... The second part is pretty much
up to there being user agents to support it.

Cheers
     Guy.

xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 01/19/99 05:45:12 AM