Re: cdata was: XSL and HTML

Subject: Re: cdata was: XSL and HTML
From: Guy_Murphy@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 10:10:20 +0000

Hi (notice the ommision of "David", so you don't feel obliged to reply :)

Thanks for clearing that up. As you went over the matter, yes I was aware
of the nature of CDATA, but confess I'd fallen into thinking of it in terms
of node type. Now while techinicaly there is no such thing as a CDATA node
type, practicaly a node that has it's data flagged as CDATA might
pragmatically be thought of as a CDATA node.

Granting this feature wouldn't erode you'er prefered practive in the use of
CDATA.

Now I'm struggling to understand this. In IE5b2 that has <xsl:cdata>

     <xsl:template match="foo">
               <![CDATA[ TEST ]]>
     </xsl:template>

...produces...

 TEST

...whereas...

     <xsl:template match="foo">
               <xsl:cdata> TEST </xsl:cdata>
     </xsl:template>

...gives...

<![CDATA[ TEST ]]>

...How might I produce the second result without <xsl:cdata>?...genuine
question, not a rhetorical one.

As I undertand it, and what I stated in a previous post, placing <![CDATA[
]]> in the XSL flags CDATA in the XSL not the result tree. How can I get
CDATA
in the result tree?

Cheers
     Guy.