Re: XSL with scripting

Subject: Re: XSL with scripting
From: "Oren Ben-Kiki" <oren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 19:15:38 +0200

Paul Prescod <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>The transformation/formatting issue was mostly about of politics and
>timing -- not a technological design issue.

I do believe that this issue does have technical implications - even deep
ones - in addition to the politics and timing implications. For example, the
ability to generate non-XML output. If the transformation part were
separate, it would be possible to raise issues of this sort. As it stands
today, they are clearly out of the scope.

>I strongly doubt that the W3C
>is going to put much faith in a vote on a deeply technical design issue
>from people who are not privy to the discussions that led to the current
>design.

A vote indicates the strength of the need for a feature. Technical
discussions should be drived by the needs of the intended user community...
The problem with scripting is that it is hard to add it without spoiling
things for a different set of users. That's what makes design such an
interesting occupation :-)

Share & Enjoy,

    Oren Ben-Kiki