RE: alternating tags in a list?

Subject: RE: alternating tags in a list?
From: "Reynolds, Gregg" <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 18:01:52 -0600

XSL does not translate, transform, fold, spindle, or otherwise mutilate
in any way, shape or form.  XSL is intended as a *language* that
designers may use to communicate design intent - composition and style -
to machines that understand XSL.  Those machines are under no compulsion
to build a result tree.  In particular, an XSL engine designed to
produce, say, PDF, is more than welcome to do so directly, without
exposing any of its internal workings, without building the result tree,
and without supporting any API.

XSL *uses* the grammatical conventions of XML.  The designer expresses
his or her intentions using that syntax.  XSL (alas) requires that the
designer think in terms of result trees and express intention using a
treeish language.  Processors are no more required to actually build
such stuff internally than relational databases are to build "actual"
versions of joined virtual tables, or store tables in a sequence of
bytes.

The "S" in XSL stands for style.  Transformations are necessary for
style.  That other uses may be made of such transformations is a nice
side-effect, but a side-effect nonetheless.

-gregg

speaking for myself only