RE: alternatives to XSL (was RE: Microsoft extensions)

Subject: RE: alternatives to XSL (was RE: Microsoft extensions)
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 10:44:36 -0500

> That isn't true. You can just tell Jade that you are working with DTD-less
> XML.

Thanks Paul, I'll read again the doc (which I should say is quite Spartan)
to know how.

> > Originally, Jade has been created for SGML formats but, as you know XML
> > format is also a Subset of the SGML format and therefore could
> be processed
> > with Jade. On its site, James provides samples and links to samples. It
> > basically allows you to transform XML into either SGML, XML,
> RTF, HTML and
> > also with an extension Tex. because it is a exe it can run on a
> server and
> > do not cost 60K ;-) There are some implementations in production that
use
> > Jade with success.
>
> Jade is an excellent tool. The only reason I promote Python over Jade is
> that many people find Jade's syntax and functional semantics to be
> intimidating. Python is more familiar and sufficiently powerful.

Yes DSSSL is not so obvious but I think should be absorbed a layer at a time
(same problem with scheme and lisp). Even if it is more powerful than XSL,
it also share the same weaknesses. If Python can be as expressive on the
pattern match side, I guess it is a hit. But I'll study it before. If I
understood well, it transform the serialized form into a grove (a tree) and
python work on that grove. Am I right to say that?

Does someone thought about "rule based" pattern matching additions to the
language? I am asking not criticizing.

Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.netfolder.com