Re: Making tables

Subject: Re: Making tables
From: Andrew Bunner <bunner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 10:17:58 -0700

>And I want to create an XSL rule to generate a two column table of this
>information (i.e. each row in the table contains two item entries) in
>HTML.  Is there a way to do this without going through the formatting
>objects (although columns don't seem to exist there yet either)?

  I don't know of a way to do it with the XML sample you provided. With the
tools we have right now, I think that you'll have to include some
formatting information in the XML document that indicates which columns a
given list element belongs to.

<list>
  <item column="1">yada yada</item>

  Or

<list>
  <column>
    <item>foo bar</item>

  Definitely the answer you were looking for. Everybody hates to include
display information in XML. This is something that scipting would fix. From
all I've read, the WG has plan to incorporate scripting into the draft at
some later point. For now, though, if you're using a tool that implements
the current WD, I think you'll have to kludge it. msxsl implements
scripting and would be able to handle this, but you'd have to write your
style sheet using the (now obselete) syntax of the original note.

-- Andrew

   Andrew Bunner
   President, Founder Mass Quantities, Inc.
   Professional Supplements for the Perfect Physique
   http://www.massquantities.com