Re: XSL Trans

Subject: Re: XSL Trans
From: Dave Peterson <davep@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 09:40:55 -0400

At 4:16 AM -0400 9/28/98, Daniel Glazman wrote:
>Paul Prescod wrote:
>
>> An extreme example is a stylesheet that
>> removes information. How can you edit documents that use this stylesheet
>> in a "WYSIWYG" view?  Clearly we are going to need different stylesheets
>> (and perhaps a different stylesheet *language*) for word processors.

>2 stylesheets ? Why not ? And so what ? Grif for instance already did that
>ten years ago ! CSS linking mechanism into HTML also offers this possibility.

>All MsWord users already do that : if you insert columns in a text, you
>have to
>switch to paginated mode to see them in wysiwyg.

Anyone who does any editing other than for "final appearance" in a WYSIWYG
editor is asking for trouble; when editing content, the "final appearance"
style is almost never the appropriate display style.  See, e.g., my <TAG>
article "WYSIWYN!" in the Jan 95 issue.  It should be obvious that one needs
alternate display styles for different purposes.

Dave Peterson
SGMLWorks!

davep@xxxxxxx