Re: FW: XSL - Loss to braille style sheets?

Subject: Re: FW: XSL - Loss to braille style sheets?
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 17:43:51 +0700

Pawson, David wrote:

> This is an extract from a post to the protocols and formats group
> of the Web Accessibility Initiative.
> Another reason to ensure some form of procedural language
> is kept - Internationalisation this time, rather than the braille
> using minority, or don't they count either.

I don't think using a procedural language is the right way to specify
hyphenation in a stylesheet, and I don't read Martin's message as
suggesting that.  Equally, I find it hard to believe that a procedural
language is the right way to describe Braille contractions.  It seems to
me to be something that would be relatively easy to specify
declaratively with properties.

If you are willing to write code to do Braille contractions, I don't
understand why you need any help from XSL: you could just code up
something with Java and the DOM that does the contractions.

James