Re: Language choice (was: Re: Interactive XML)

Subject: Re: Language choice (was: Re: Interactive XML)
From: Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 03:22:51 -0500 (CDT)

Sebastian Rahtz said:

> Brandon Ibach writes:
>  >    DSSSL is technically capable of meeting just about any need for
>  > formatting and transformation (short of rare, specialized tasks such
> how do you know? no-one has ever implemented (all of) DSSSL, so no-one has
> been able to produce complex formatting with it. the examples to date
> have been pretty trivial, in typesetting terms. an obvious example of
> a possible problematic area is mathematics --- its not at all clear
> that DSSSL has the facilities need to render MathML.

   Perhaps I should rephrase this as: "of all the sufficiently general
solutions out there right now, DSSSL has the greatest potential to
handle all but the most specialized formatting and transformation
tasks."
   However, you're right... there is still the potential to discover
weaknesses in DSSSL.  However, I'd be surprised if there were many (if
any) that are any deeper than a lacking in flow object functionality,
as, I suspect, any problems in the handling of mathematics would be.
These are easily fixed with no modifications to DSSSL itself, as flow
objects are really a separate thing.

-Brandon :)