Re: Interactive XML

Subject: Re: Interactive XML
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 10:55:26 -0500

Michael Kay wrote:

> >This use is outside of XSL's mandate. I think that a slight
> XSL extension
> >should be able to support it, but there is no sense in
> which this is
> >"standard XSL's job." Check the requirements spec.
> Generation of arbitrary
> >HTML pages is not "formatting." That's transformation.

> XML has no display semantics. HTML does have display
> semantics, albeit at an abstract level. Therefore, IMHO,
> producing HTML from XML is formatting.

I meant for the word "arbitrary" to differentiate between the case where
the XSL processor chooses your HTML/CSS elements/styles (just as it would
choose your RTF commands) and the case where your stylesheet chooses your
HTML elements. The first is in the scope of XSL (a conversion which
happens to output HTML) and the second is not (a programmer-driven
transformation from XML to HTML).

As I've said before, though, the second is close enough to XSL that a
simple extension to XSL would do the job.

Three things trust above all else: Your knowledge of your craft
That someone turns a profit, and that you will get the shaft
http://www.geezjan.org/humor/computers/threes.html