RE: Style vs. Transformation

Subject: RE: Style vs. Transformation
From: Tony Stewart <tony.stewart@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 14:38:56 -0000

Paul Prescod and Jani Jaakkola wrote:

"> Probably, an independent transformation step seems overkill in a
_Style_
> language. But why couldn't you expect requirements for modifying the
document's
> structure during processing ? Do you really believe that the frequent
transformation
> needs among SGML users (evolution of DTDs, authoring vs. repository
DTDs, ...)
> will all of a sudden disappear because they're using a fixed concrete
syntax ?

"The need for transformation language won't go away for sure.
The point is, that the style language with SGML flow objects could
also be the answer to transformation problems."

As I understand it (and I may well be wrong), the flow objects won't let
us get back to the document structure. If so, then I don't think they
provide enough power in themselves. We've got a frequent requirement for
the style to change dynamically based on user actions within the
document. Often the cleanest way to store the user responses is by
manipulating attributes within the document itself, then firing style
rules that are affected by those attributes. This provides the
equivalent (in this instance) of global memory variables while
sidestepping the side effect issue. I'd hate to lose it.

Tony Stewart
RivCom
"Publishing Structured Information"
www.rivcom.com