[oXygen-user] Table formatting: style attribute

Michael Boudreau mboudreau at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 17 10:09:38 CDT 2022

Thanks, Radu. That produced the change I need, though I limited the selector to th[style] and td[style].

I’m assuming that CSS declarations are acceptable content for the ‘style’ attribute based on the example in https://jats.nlm.nih.gov/archiving/tag-library/1.2/attribute/style.html:

--
Michael R. Boudreau
Electronic Publishing Technology Manager

From: oXygen-user <oxygen-user-bounces at oxygenxml.com> on behalf of Oxygen XML Editor Support (Radu Coravu) <support at oxygenxml.com>
Date: Monday, October 17, 2022 at 12:22 AM
To: oxygen-user at oxygenxml.com <oxygen-user at oxygenxml.com>
Subject: Re: [oXygen-user] Table formatting: style attribute

Hi Michael,

We (the Oxygen XML developers) are not very familiar with the JATS format.

Oxygen uses CSS to render the JATS content in the Author visual editing mode. If for example you open the CSS "OXYGEN_INSTALL_DIR/frameworks/jats/lib/author-css/authoring-extension.css" CSS and add this selector to it:
*[style]{
    -oxy-style:attr(style);
}
then save your CSS and re-open your JATS file, Oxygen's visual editing should interpret the small CSS snippet value from any element which has a "style" attribute.

But is this correct according to the standard?

https://jats.nlm.nih.gov/archiving/tag-library/1.1d1/n-kkw2.html<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/jats.nlm.nih.gov/archiving/tag-library/1.1d1/n-kkw2.html__;!!BpyFHLRN4TMTrA!5UqrygK3OTCVWUckqPixZjhgdhWr64We_KH3SmfdyV6hT0Iymy8clGtEVsrSv4uWqJbpsnY3eD-nYPKvVSl8mcSD$>
with many of the elements within a NISO JATS table(<table><https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/jats.nlm.nih.gov/archiving/tag-library/1.1d1/n-by90.html__;!!BpyFHLRN4TMTrA!5UqrygK3OTCVWUckqPixZjhgdhWr64We_KH3SmfdyV6hT0Iymy8clGtEVsrSv4uWqJbpsnY3eD-nYPKvVdf-bzfM$>), records the name of the style to be applied to the element;
The value of the @style attribute seems in the standard to indicate more a style name which should indicate the styling.

Oxygen XML Editor