[oXygen-user] Why can't Oxygen format and indent a 200MB file in 30 minutes whereas SAXON can do it in 15 seconds?

Roger L Costello costello at mitre.org
Wed Aug 18 09:28:24 CDT 2021

Hi Folks,

I have (by today's standards) a medium sized XML file that is 200MB in size. It is unformatted (no indentation). I opened the file in Oxygen and clicked on the format and indent button. After 30 minutes of processing Oxygen gave up with an error message. So I wrote a simple 1-line XSLT program (below) to do the indentation, it took about 15 seconds and was done. Why is it that Oxygen can't indent the file in 30 minutes whereas an XSLT processor (Saxon) can do it in 15 seconds?  /Roger

    exclude-result-prefixes="xs"
    version="2.0">
    <xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes" />

    <xsl:template match="/">
        <xsl:copy-of select="/" />
    </xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>