[oXygen-user] self-signed certificates

David Birnbaum djbpitt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 10:00:12 CST 2020

Dear oxygen-user list:

I tried opening a file from a URL on a site that uses a self-signed
certificate. <oXygen/> first asked whether I wanted to allow and trust the
site, and when I told it that I did, <oXygen/> refused to load it, telling
me that:

Cannot open the specified file.
There was a problem establishing the secure HTTPS connection. In case the
server you are trying to connect to uses self-signed certificates, read the
'Troubleshooting HTTPS' section from the user manual.
 Full error message: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path
building failed:
sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find
valid certification path to requested target

I'm running XML Editor 21.1, build 2019120214, with the bundled Java, on
MacOS Mojave. How do I communicate to <oXygen/> that it should trust this
site? I tried adding an exception for the site to my Java configuration,
which didn't help, and I then realized that that was probably because those
exceptions are for my system Java, and <oXygen/> is using its own.

Thanks,

David