[oXygen-user] Subfigure numbering with docbook 5

Bob Stayton bobs at sagehill.net
Sat Oct 27 00:39:44 CDT 2018

Hi Bernhard,

Actually, a figure does not have to be confined to one page. That is a
stylesheet feature, not a feature of DocBook XML.

In DocBook XSL, a figure element is processed to use the attribute-set
named 'figure.properties', which by default is defined in fo/param.xsl as:

     <xsl:attribute-set name="figure.properties"
use-attribute-sets="formal.object.properties"/>

In other words, it inherits the attributes set in
'formal.object.properties', and one of those attributes is:

    <xsl:attribute name="keep-together.within-column">always</xsl:attribute>

It is this setting that tries to keep a figure to one page, which in
most cases is what users want.  However, a customization can change that
behavior.  For example:

<xsl:attribute-set name="figure.properties">
   <xsl:attribute name="keep-together.within-column">
     <xsl:choose>
       <xsl:when test="count(d:mediaobject) > 1">inherit</xsl:when>
       <xsl:otherwise>always</xsl:otherwise>
     </xsl:choose>
   </xsl:attribute>
</xsl:attribute-set>

This is an example of overriding one xsl:attribute in an attribute-set.
It also shows how the attribute-set is applied separately to each
instance of figure, so you can count d:mediaobjects and relax the
keep-together for those instances. These two sections in my book
illustrate this method of customization:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/AttributeSets.html

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/PrintTableStyles.html#TableTitle

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises