[oXygen-user] Some UTF8 signs not transformed into PDF

Oxygen XML Editor Support (Radu Coravu) support at oxygenxml.com
Mon Feb 19 01:16:21 CST 2018

Hi Bernhard,

If your XML documents start with the processing-instruction:

> <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>

then it's UTF-8 encoded meaning that you can save in it any character
that you want.
If it does not start with an <?xml...?> encoding declaration, then it's
again UTF-8 encoded because it's the default encoding for XML.
So you can save any character you want in the XML but this does not mean
that Oxygen or the PDF output will be able to render the character.
For rendering the character you need to use appropriate fonts.
In the Oxygen Preferences->"Fonts" page you can configure the fonts used
for editing.
Also for building the PDF output from Docbook, if you edit the
transformation scenario, in the "Parameters" list you can search for
"font" and you will find various font-related parameters. For each of
the parameters there are lists of fonts, used as fallbacks.
Basically when a character needs to be rendered, the first font in the
list is asked, if it does not support it, then the next font is asked
and so on.
Ideally you should avoid using fancy characters which are not supported
in all fonts, maybe replace them with images instead.