[oXygen-user] Multilingual Schematron messages?

Tony Graham
Mon Jan 11 12:30:02 CST 2016

On 11/01/2016 14:32, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> On 11.1.2016 14:59, Tony Graham wrote:
>> Currently, for the Japanese version of 'focheck' [1], I'm using a
>> patched version [2] of the open source OmegaT translation memory
>> tool to get whole Schematron files translated.  I've implemented
>> l10n lookup from XML property files using XSLT before, but
>> implementing extracting messages to property files and generating
>> translated Schematron files using translated property files seemed
>> like too much effort for just the 'focheck' project.
>
> If Schematron is being compiled to XSLT for runtime then it should be
> possible to use my Saxon extension
> http://xmlguru.cz/2006/10/saxon-gettext without need to provide
> multiple translated Schematron files.

I've looked at it in the past, though I can't always find it every time
that I look for it.

My understanding is that for use with the Saxon extension, the
Schematron message:

    name="<value-of select="@name"/>" cannot be used when
    axf:document-info with name="xmp" is present.

it would have to be marked up as:

    <t:_>name="</t:_><value-of select="@name"/><t:_>" cannot be used when
    axf:document-info with name="xmp" is present.</t:_>

but I was thinking in terms of dumping a properties file where the key
is more like:

    name="{@name}" cannot be used when
    axf:document-info with name="xmp" is present.

so it can be translated as a sentence and so it's possible to rearrange
multiple <value-of> if necessary for the translation.  (I obviously
haven't got as far as inventing shorthands for all of the elements
allowed in Schematron messages, let alone supporting foreign elements
and attributes.)

> Drawback is that is used Gettext and not OmegaT and that I haven't
> upgraded extension to recent Saxon versions. But it would be nice to
>  have some localization library kind of standardized at least for
> XSLT.

It's possible to get XLIFF and other formats out of OmegaT, so using
OmegaT doesn't preclude using other tools as well.  However, I'm not
wedded to OmegaT: it's just that it's a good-enough free solution for a
small-scale problem that I had.  So having a good, standard, batch
method for XSLT would still be a good idea.  However, since we're
talking about Schematron in general, not all Schematron is run using XSLT.

Regards,

Tony Graham.
--
Senior Architect