[oXygen-user] Separate colour for external parsed entity 'tags' in 'Author' mode?

Tony Graham
Tue Jan 27 06:51:47 CST 2015

On 20/01/15 12:30, Oxygen XML Editor Support (Radu Coravu)  wrote:
> If you have access to the CSS used to render the XML in the Author
> visual editing mode, in the CSS after all the imports you can define
> this namespace:
>
>> @namespace oxy "http://www.oxygenxml.com/extensions/author";
>
> and then add this extra selector to it:
>
>> oxy|entity {
>>     display:-oxy-morph !important;
>>     -oxy-display-tags: default !important;
>>     -oxy-tags-background-color:yellow !important;
>>     -oxy-tags-color:green !important;
>> }

That works well, thank you.  I was expecting that entities such as
'>' would also change colour, but I wasn't expecting comments to turn
yellow as well.

> By the way for the next Oxygen version (version 17) we changed the
> default display of entity references in the Author visual editing mode
> to hide the start and end tags completely for them, something like:
>
>> -oxy-display-tags: none !important;
>
> What do you think of the change we plan to make? It makes entity
> references look more seamlessly embedded in the content.

I've been thinking about this since your email.  Since I'm not
tag-averse, I'd probably change/keep the CSS to make them visible.

As it is, because I have CSS that sets the background colour for some
elements, every so often I find myself wondering why I can't edit some
text and it's because the text is in an external reference but I can't
see the usual grey background that indicates that it is external text.

The other conceptual difficulty that I haven't actually run into yet is
nested entities, particularly if an entity reference is the last thing
in an element that is the last thing in its own external parsed entity.

If you assume all the right entity declarations for these files:

a.xml:
----
<entities>end?</entities>
----

b.xml
----
----

c.xml
----
----

then the Author mode view of 'c.xml' is something like:

----
----

In principle, I'd like to know where the entities end, but maybe it's
sufficient that I have the option of changing the CSS so I can see the
'tags' for the starts and ends of the entities.

Regards,

Tony Graham.
--
Senior Architect