[oXygen-user] XInclude and Relax NG

Tara Athan taraathan at gmail.com
Thu May 22 10:25:37 CDT 2014

Dear George,

Here is a small version.

There is an instance document that has the xi:include element.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?xml-model href="../../xcl2_short.rnc"
type="application/relax-ng-compact-syntax"?>
<Construct xmlns="http://example.org"
xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2003/XInclude">
   <xi:include href="includes/1.xml" parse="xml"/>
<Atom><Name>Q</Name><Name>b</Name></Atom>
</Construct>

and here is the includes/1.xml file to be included (showing an error)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Construct xmlns="http://examples.org">
<Atom><Name>P</Name><Name>a</Name></Atom>
</Construct>

Here is a short version of the schema xcl2_short.rnc

default namespace = "http://example.org"
namespace xi = "http://www.w3.org/2003/XInclude"

start = clText

## Texts
clText = Construct | Import

## -Text Constructions
Construct = element Construct { Construct.type }
Construct.type = (clText|clSentence)*

## -Imports
Import = element Import { Import.type }
Import.type =  Name

## Sentences
clSentence = Atom

## -Atomic Formulas
Atom = element Atom { Atom.type }
Atom.type = clTerm, clTermSequence

## Term Sequences
clTermSequence = (clTerm)*

## Terms
clTerm = Name

## -Names
Name = element Name { Name.type }
Name.type = text

# XInclude
Import |=
   element xi:include {
     attribute href { xsd:anyURI }
   }

I have tried it with and without the pattern for the xi:include element
in the schema.

If the xi:include pattern is in the RNC schema, then the instance
validates, and does not pick up errors in the included file.
If the xi:include pattern is not in the RNC schema, then the instance
does not validate, even when the included file does not have an error.

Thanks, Tara