[oXygen-user] advantages of using Eclipse plugin?

George Cristian Bina
Wed Jul 23 15:17:01 CDT 2014

Hi Tom,

The DITA to Eclipse Help transformation is not linked in any way to
using oXygen as an Eclipse plugin. This transformation is also available
in the desktop version of oXygen.

The oXygen Eclipse plugin is useful when for some reason you are already
using Eclipse and thus you can use oXygen within the same environment,
without the need to switch to a different application. For example there
are a number of CMSes that are based on Eclipse and therefore they offer
integrations with the oXygen Eclipse plugin to provide the XML authoring
support together with the CMS functionality in the same application.

Another use case is to combine the functionality of oXygen with a
different product that is available as an Eclipse plugin. For example if
you want Git support and oXygen in a single application you can get
Eclipse + a Git plugin + oXygen Eclipse plugin and you have support for
XML authoring/development and Git support in the same environment.

Also, the same oXygen license allows you to use both the standalone and
the Eclipse plugin so you do not need to decide in advance what license
you need - you just use the best oXygen distribution that suits your
needs at a specific moment.