[oXygen-user] Difference between xs:redefine and xs:override in XML schema 1.1

oXygen XML Editor Support support at oxygenxml.com
Mon Feb 3 06:38:05 CST 2014

Hello Olumide,

Using redefine you can extend or restrict a component (complex types,
simple types, model groups and attribute groups). So, you reuse the
original definition of the component and you extend or restrict it.

The override allows you to replace the definition of a component. So,
you create a new component with the same name that replaces the original
definition. You can override any top-level named component (complex
types, simple types, element declarations, attributes declarations,
model groups, attribute groups and notations).

You can read more about the override here:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema11-1/#override-schema
Or you can read the Roger Costello XML Schema 1.1 tutorial:
http://www.xfront.com/xml-schema-1-1/index.html

I also recommend Priscilla Walmsley book: "Definitive XML Schema, 2nd
Edition"

Regards,
Octavian
Octavian Nadolu