[oXygen-user] Linking uicontrol with a collection topic

Oxygen XML Editor Support support at oxygenxml.com
Fri Oct 4 03:11:05 CDT 2013

Hi Matt,

Here are some possibilities:

1) In the Oxygen Preferences->"Document Type Association" page you can
edit the DITA document type. In the "Author" tab you select the "Content
Completion" tab. This tab has a "Filter - Remove content completion
items" list to which you can add <uicontrol>.
Then the same tab has a list of "Content Completion" extensions,
actions, which appear in the content completion window.
You could add to that list the "insert.conkeyref" action with a display
name of <uicontrol>.
The final result would be that when the tech writer selects <uicontrol>
in the content completion window the dialog for inserting conkeyrefs
will appear. This will work only in the Author visual editing mode.

2) Instead of disallowing the writers to enter <uicontrol> with custom
text you could have a Schematron file which checks that all <uicontrol>
elements have the @conkeyref attribute on them. The Schematron content
would be like:

> <schema xmlns="http://purl.oclc.org/dsdl/schematron" queryBinding="xslt2">
>     <pattern>
>         <rule context="*[contains(@class, ' ui-d/uicontrol ')] ">
>             <assert test="@conkeyref">UI Control must have a conkeyref to our reusable snippets.</assert>
>         </rule>
>     </pattern>
> </schema>

You could use the Schematron in two ways:

a) The "Validate and check for completeness" action available on the
DITA Maps Manager toolbar allows you to set an "Additional Schematron
checks" file. In this way, from time to time you could check the entire
project.

b) Add the pattern from the schematron snippet above directly in the
Schematron file:

OXYGEN_INSTALL_DIR\frameworks\dita\resources\dita-1.2-for-xslt2-mandatory.sch

which is used to validate all edited DITA topics. Or of course, modify
the DITA document type and edit the default validation scenario to
include another Schematron-based validation unit.

There is also the additional idea of automatically generating code
templates for each possible conkeyref value and add them to the content
completion list, I proposed the idea on the DITA Users List a while ago
along with an XSL stylesheet: