[oXygen-user] Applying xml:lang across every file in map

Oxygen XML Editor Support support at oxygenxml.com
Tue Nov 5 10:07:54 CST 2013

Hello Matt,

Unfortunately there is no XML specialized feature in Oxygen for setting
an attribute for a set of files. We do have a feature request for this,
but it has not been implemented yet.

However, one workaround for this is to use the Find/Replace in Files
with the appropriate regular expressions and filters on the DITA Map
hierarchy. It's a text replacement tool, but it is XML-aware and it
supports XPath filters.

Steps:
1. First create (or make sure you have) a backup copy of your files
(preferably the entire project), just in case anything goes wrong.

2. If you already have xml:lang set on the root element of some of the
files, you should first remove them (otherwise skip to step 3):
In the DITA Maps Manager right click on the map root and from the
contextual menu pick *Find/Replace in Files*. Fill the fields this way:
*Text to find: */.*/
*Regular expression**:* Enabled
*Restrict to XPath:* //*/@xml:lang/
*Replace with:* (empty)
*Scope:* Current DITA Map hierarchy
*Include **files:* *.*
Press *Replace All...* and Preview the operation to make sure that it
does what is expected of it (it should remove the existing xml:lang
attributes).

3. To add the xml:lang set on the root element of the files after the
last attribute, use again the *Find/Replace in Files* and use the
following field values:
*Text to find: */.*/
*Regular expression**:* Enabled
*Restrict to XPath:* //*/@*[last()]/
*Replace with:* /$0 xml:lang="en_US"/ (modify the value to the one you
want to set)
*Scope:* Current DITA Map hierarchy
*Include **files:* *.*
Press *Replace All...* and Preview the operation to make sure that it
does what is expected of it (xml:lang should be added after the last
attribute of each root element ).

Regards,
Adrian

Adrian Buza