[oXygen-user] oxygen does not shutdown when Windows 7 shuts down

Echlin, Robert Robert.Echlin at windriver.com
Wed Jun 5 08:44:03 CDT 2013

Hi
On Windows 7, oXygen 13.2 (both Author and Editor), does not exit when Windows attempts to shut down or log out.

I can hit cancel and then I can usually shut them down manually.
However, sometimes Author is then in a state of having the main text window all gray, and not responding to input.

On a separate note, but possibly related, yesterday I was working on a new "DITA Scenario", and had to start over.
I updated some other software and had to reboot.
I am pretty sure Author got into that gray text window state at the shutdown.
Then, later in the morning I had trouble with builds.
The value of ${cfd} passed to the builds was incorrect, Author was instead passing the Editor installation folder in "C:\Program Files".
After a few minutes of this, I decided to restart Author.
When it restarted, it had renamed the Project File to a name with "temp" in it, and was running without it.
I used SVN update to get a working version of the Project File and recreated my new "DITA Scenario".

Notes:
Installed: Oxygen Editor 13.2, build 2012052412
I generally run both Editor and Author simultaneously (both from the Editor installation), editing XSLT and Ant code in Editor and testing it in Author.
Also installed: oXygen 11.2
I use it with other another XML build that needs its own oXygen Framework.
I think that's because its "topic" XML type conflicts with the one in DITA.

Using: Windows 7, Version 6.1.7601 SP 1 Build 7601
Standalone version, not integrated with Eclipse.

My normal logout practice has been to log out only on Fridays,
and to close oXygen Author and Editor when I leave work at the end of the day, in case an update restarts Windows.

Somewhat relevant tools - ones that hook into Windows Explorer right-click menu with more than "Open with me!":

-          Q-Dir to replace Windows Explorer. Pretty much eliminates restarting Windows Explorer when it crashes.

-          TortoiseSVN

-          TortoiseGIT

Why don't software companies make the "version" field selectable and copy-able, in the About box or equivalent?
That would be a minor feature request, trivial to do, but useful every time someone reports a bug.
Microsoft should do it, not just oXygenXML.

All my very best,
Rob

--
Rob Echlin, Documentation Systems Architect, Wind River
+1.613.270.5796 | Skype: rob.echlin.wr