[oXygen-user] Difference between incomplete and incorrect

George Cristian Bina george at oxygenxml.com
Fri Apr 26 15:52:38 CDT 2013

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your feedback!

Jing has an option for Relax NG validation that we expose in
Options->Preferences -- XML / XML Parser / RELAX NG
[ ] Check feasibly valid
that does not mark anymore as validation errors the missing elements or
attributes - in this mode a document is considered feasibly valid if all
it takes to make it full valid is to add content, elements or attributes
to it. Such a validation mode is useful indeed during authoring.

AFAIK there is no similar support for XML Schema or DTDs. However, we do
intercept all errors reported by Xerces to update the location
information - oXygen changes the location information for many errors
from the end of a start tag to the actual location of an attribute or of
an attribute value the error actually refers to - so it may be possible
to identify errors that refer to missing required content and change
them to warnings, thus getting yellow markers instead of red markers, or
remove them completely and getting a similar behavior with the check
feasibly valid option from the Relax NG validation.
This probably needs to be controlled by an option, because a validate
action that returns only warnings is considered a successful validation,
so the user should be aware that he decided to ignore some type of errors.