[oXygen-user] Automatically generating XML schemas using XSLT

Olumide videohead at mail.com
Wed Nov 21 13:45:03 CST 2012

On 21/11/2012 19:12, Mark Baker wrote:
>   I have the same kind of issue in the SPFE Open Toolkit. Schemas are highly
> modular, and sometimes the details you want in a particular low level schema
> depend on what you are trying to achieve in the higher level schema. To
> accomplish this without duplication, I use groups. Essentially, the trick is
> this:
>
> 1. Place reusable or variable elements in groups in the lower-level schemas.
>
> 2. In the high level schemas, define high-level groups containing whatever
> groups (defined in the low level schemas) that you want used throughout your
> resulting schema.
> 3. In the low level schemas, use the high-level groups to encapsulate
> variations that depend on which high level schema the low level schema is
> being included in.
>
> In other words, use groups in the high-level schemas to determine what
> features are turned on in the lower-level schemas.

It ... sort ... of makes sense. I'm going to have to set aside the book
on XSLT and take a really close look.

Or could you kindly highlight where in the schema you perform each one
of these steps?

BTW, you don't seem to have split your schema into sub-schemas.

Inspired by your approach, it would be nice to have the varying elements
share a common name but live in unique namespaces. For example the
general version of the element Foo in the common namespace com and thus
referenced as com:Foo, while the customized version of Foo be declared
another namespace cus, and thus referenced as cus:Foo. The goal of
course would be to find a way of identifying the appropriate Foo
namespace in the top-level schema. Note that Foo may not appear in the
top level schema, and is often deeply nested in other elements contained
in the top level level schema.

- Olumide