[oXygen-user] [ann] [beta] oXygen XML Editor version 14 beta is available for testing

Alex Jitianu alex_jitianu at sync.ro
Tue May 29 02:27:22 CDT 2012

Hi Florent,

>    Well done!  I note there are two kinds of scenarios for XSpec,
> either using Ant or using XProc.  I guess XProc test harnesses are
> going to be the prefered and most maintained way of launching running
> XSpec test suites (IMHO the only "raison d'etre" of the Ant way is for
> systems without an XProc processor).

As we discussed at XML Prague, the main reason we went for ANT in favor
of XProc was the ability to pass extensions libraries to the processor.
Currently the only way you can do that for an XProc transformation is to
edit an XML descriptor and put the jars in Oxygen lib. So we lack the
dynamic configuration of the extensions. But the good news is that we
intend to extend the XProc scenario to be able to specify the extension
libraries that will be automatically loaded. As soon as we add this
functionality we will be able to make the XProc scenario the default one.

>    But it looks to me like the XProc scenario is too closely related to
> the Saxon test harness.
Currently we focused on the XSLT part and since Saxon is the only engine
supported by XSpec, these are the default scenarios we added. The next
version we will focus on the XQuery part.

>    In addition, it would be very interesting to be able to configure
> some of the standard harnesses with details that come from oXygen's
> data sources.
That's a good idea! We did something similar for XSLT: if you generate
an XSpec for an XSL with an associated transformation scenario, we take
the Saxon configuration from the scenario and we create a custom XSpec
scenario that will run with the same Saxon configuration (and the same
the extensions). We will probably do the same for XQuery: we will detect
the data source from the transformation scenario and we will use the
proper harness (eXist, ML etc) configured as in that data source.

Best regards,
Alex
--
Alex Jitianu