[oXygen-user] 10 files open is too many

Echlin, Robert Robert.Echlin at windriver.com
Mon Aug 13 16:19:51 CDT 2012

Hi
I find when I have a few files open in oXygen, that I soon reach the limit of too many files to find the one I want.
This is a common problem, that I find in other apps as well. This is a hard problem.

However, let's look at some specific irritants that you can probably do something about, most of which do not occur in other apps.

- narrow list box
The icon at the right of the list of files will show the whole list if you click on it.
The names of the files are truncated, because that drop down list is too narrow.
When this  list is open, it doesn't matter if you can't see a lot of stuff under it.
Please make it wider, maybe 50% wider?
Or variable, so it will be as wide as the widest filename?

- closing files
Let's say I have 20 files open and I want to close the three in the middle.
right click on one.
select "close", and it closes.
But...
Instead of seeing the "middle" of the list, where I was just working, I now see the "left" side. (This is the bit I want you to fix)
I then see the left most few files, maybe 6, and to get to the next one I want to close, I have to click the scroll button several/many times.
Alternatively, I can click the "whole list" icon and find the file I want to next close, then select it. two clicks and some eyeball scrolling. Slow.

- dragging files to change their order
This is a similar problem to closing files.
Try to drag a file, and the screen jumps to the left-most items, leaving you with a lot of scrolling to do to find it again, to drag it past one ... more ... file!

- select different file, then go back
Do this:
- If I have currently selected a file that I am viewing in "text" mode, then click on the name of a file that is in "author" mode.
Get this:
- The number of toolbars open increases (that's OK, by itself)
- The file I am now looking at "moves" to the left side of the screen (sometimes the right), instead of staying where it was. This may hide the file I was looking at before.
This makes it difficult to move back and forth between two files.

- ditamap vs. topic file
One of our writers pointed out to me that maps open in the list get "lost" in the dita topics.
Maybe different file types could have different background colors or some other differentiator in the list of files?

Thanks for considering these requests.

Rob

--
Rob Echlin, Documentation Systems Architect, Wind River
+1.613.270.5796 | Skype: rob.echlin.wr