[oXygen-user] chinese characters in an english file

Adrian Buza
Thu May 26 04:17:56 CDT 2011

Hello,

Oxygen uses Java logical fonts that have the ability to display
platform-wide character sets. On the other hand PDF only has
built-support for certain physical fonts that don't cover character sets
from some languages. Additional fonts must be embedded and used in the
PDF to resolve this.

See the guide from the manual to understand what must be done:
http://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/ug-authorEclipse/tasks/add-font-to-builtin-FOP-simplified.html

For this to work with Apache FOP you need to have a FOP configuration
file that is configured to pick up the appropriate fonts.
Starting with v12.0 Oxygen has a preset configuration file that already
does this: ${oxygenInstallDir}/lib/fop-config.xml
If you're using an older version of Oxygen you need to create this file
as described in the link above. Then you have to set file in Options
->Preferences -> XML -> XSLT-FO-XQuery -> FO Processors, Configuration file.

For DocBook you need to edit the transformation scenario(Document ->
Transformation -> Configure Transformation Scenario, Edit), in the XSLT
tab press the Parameters button and look for the parameters:
body.font.family and title.font.family. You need to set these parameter
values to a font name that covers all the character sets that you need.
e.g.
in Windows: MS Gothic or Arial Unicode MS
on the Mac: Arial Unicode MS

BTW, on what platform are you using Oxygen(Windows, Mac, Linux)?

Regards,
Adrian

Adrian Buza
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support