[oXygen-user] oXygen Author-mode document comparison plugin

David Cramer
Thu Jul 7 10:17:14 CDT 2011

Hi Michael,
Thanks for the information. This is a very interesting tool and I think
it will be useful for many people.

I've put follow-up questions inline below.

> Currently entities are only preserved in the general XML comparison mode
> (which produces oXygen tracked changes). This default behavior can be
> configured by changing the value of the 'Preservation Mode' parameter.
> Note that the general XML comparison mode's configuration parameters are
> made available by pressing the 'Configure' button on the Comparison
> file/window selection panel.
>
> The DITA and DocBook comparison modes always expand entity references,
> as their revision flag markup is not intended for round-trip processing.

I'm not seeing a "Preservation Mode" field in the "Preferences for
Compare DocBook" window.

> The DocBook specific comparison mode, by default, expands xi:includes
> elements. This can be turned off by 'unchecking' the 'Enable XInclude'
> parameter. The general XML and DITA comparison modes do not expand
> xi:include elements.

I see. I guess it would be quite a complex process to compare two files
and their xincluded contents while preserving the xincludes. The tool
would have to name and save new versions of all the xincluded files in a
new directory and update all the hrefs on the xinclude elements. I could
imagine situations that would be hard to process (say if an element were
moved from the main file to an xincluded file with no other changes).
But for a more limited case, say where all the xincluded files are code
listings, this could work.

>> 2. If you have a document with a DOCTYPE statement but with no DTD, it
>> fails to parse the document. This situation arises when you use a schema
>> to validate the document but add a DOCTYPE to declare entities. For
>> example, if you attempt to load two versions of the following valid
>> DocBook 5.x document, it fails to load the first one complaining that
>> "book" has not been defined:
>>
> We will address this bug, which arises due to the inappropriate use of
> DTD validation. One work-around is to compare these documents by turning
> off the 'Validation' configuration parameter. Alternatively, the general
> XML comparison successfully compares these files.

Ok, thanks. Turning off validation works around the issue for now.

David