[oXygen-user] Cannot Open Windows Explorer

Adrian Buza adrian at sync.ro
Thu Aug 25 02:44:51 CDT 2011

Hello,

Actually, the All-Platforms solution is a workaround at best for 64-bit.
Please note that in 64-bit Windows you don't need the 64-bit kit unless
you work with very large files and need the extra available memory that
the 64-bit JVM offers. Otherwise the memory overhead that the 64-bit JVM
introduces is not worth it.

The problem you are encountering(missing file chooser, e.g. Open/Save
dialog) appears with JRE 1.6.0_26. The native file chooser that Oxygen
uses fails silently with this version of the JRE and as a result the
fallback Java file chooser is not displayed either. A quick solution for
this problem is to use a different version of the JRE. We've tested with
1.6.0_23, 25, and 27 and they all work correctly.

The best solution if you want to use 64-bit is to use the 64-bit
installation kits. These kits aren't linked on the main site because of
a few quirks that the 64-bit architecture and JVM impose.
You can find the Window 64-bit kit for Oxygen XML Editor here:
http://www.oxygenxml.com/download_oxygenxml_editor_windows_64bit.html
and for Oxygen XML Author here:
http://www.oxygenxml.com/download_oxygenxml_author_windows_64bit.html
Please read the Notes from the download pages to understand the quirks
and limitations of these 64-bit distributions.

Additionally, note that the 64-bit edition of the application requires a
bit more memory to perform the same operation than the 32-bit edition
because of the way the Java memory management works for 64-bits. This is
compensated by the fact that the 64-bit JVM can address a lot more
memory(in theory you can use more memory than you physically have
available) than the 32-bit JVM(limited to 2GB, actually around 1.4GB of
heap for the Java application). So, if you have 4GB or more of physical
memory, the 64-bit edition will probably work much better for you than
the 32-bit edition. For 2GB or less of system memory this will probably
perform worse than the 32-bit edition, so avoid using it on such a
system(use the 32-bit edition instead).

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,
Adrian

Adrian Buza
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support