[oXygen-user] Read from database?

Sorin Ristache
Fri Aug 12 06:40:38 CDT 2011

Hello,

A Selection Plugin should be used for processing the selected text in
the Text editing mode of an editor of type XML (XML files, XSL files,
XSD files, etc). If you want to copy the data from a MySQL table to a
DITA document you can display the table contents in Oxygen by browsing
the database contents in the Data Source Explorer view, right clicking
on the table name and selecting the Edit action from the popup menu.
This action will display the table in a new Oxygen view as in the
following example from the User Manual:

http://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/ug-oxygen/topics/relational-table-explorer.html

Just select and copy the data from the table and paste it in the DITA
document opened in Oxygen.

Is this what you want to do?

If you want in fact to customize Author editing mode for editing DITA
documents in order to display a popup screen for the user with some data
extracted from the MySQL database you should write an Author extension
by using the Author API which is available in the Author SDK. There are
many examples including the Java source code of Author actions in the SDK:

http://www.oxygenxml.com/InstData/Editor/Developer/oxygenAuthorSDK.zip

http://www.oxygenxml.com/developer.html#XML_Editor_Authoring_SDK

If you want to go this route please let us know if you have problems
with the Author API or you get unexplained errors in your Author
extension code.

Best regards,
Sorin