[oXygen-user] Analyzing Map Validation Logs

Eliot Kimber
Wed Sep 15 12:09:15 CDT 2010

I tested the new map validation feature by validating the full DITA 1.2 spec
map, which is about as large a map as most people will have.

The resulting validation large was long and includes a number of messages I
know I can ignore, or least don't want look at.

So to focus on specific errors here's what I did:

1. In the message result window I right clicked and did "Save results as
XML".

2. Opened the XML file in Oxygen and applied the pretty print to it (so it
would be easier to read).

3. Looked for distinguishing text in the message descriptions I wanted to
ignore and then used this XPath to find all messages that didn't have those
bits in their description:

//incident[not(contains(description, 'subset')) and
not(contains(description, 'key reference'))]

This produces a list of <incident> elements in the XQuery result list.

I then just selected each search result in turn and it took me right to the
log message I cared about. I could then use the "Open file at cursor"
feature to open the file in question.

Took me about 5 minutes to find and fix about 10 bad links scattered
throughout several hundred topics and a number of maps.

Cheers,

E.

--
Eliot Kimber