[oXygen-user] What does Apple's deprecation of Java mean for oXygen?

Adrian Buza
Wed Oct 27 08:11:33 CDT 2010

Hello,

Apple has marked as deprecated their Java Virtual Machine (JVM)
implementation. This means that starting with the next version of Mac OS
X 10.7, this JVM may be removed [on Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6 Java will
remain built-in]. Starting with Mac OS X 10.7 all Java applications will
most likely have to use another third party JVM.

Unfortunately, at this time, no other JVM has a user interface
integration in the operating system anywhere as good as the one
currently offered by Apple.

Current situation:

oXygen has two distributions:
- the standalone AWT/Swing application
- the SWT plugin for Eclipse.

AWT/Swing based applications like Netbeans, JDeveloper and the
standalone version of oXygen, will all be affected. The result will be a
user interface that is not smoothly integrated in the Mac look and feel,
and possibly the entire application being displayed using the X Window
System.

Eclipse has the nice feature of using native user interface controls on
each platform, directly, without the need of AWT. So, an application
using SWT will look and perform exactly the same, no matter the JVM it
uses.

What we can do:

1. If no JVM rises to the challenge of implementing AWT/Swing support
with the appropriate Mac look and feel, we'll pack a stripped down
version of Eclipse (called a Rich Client Platform) with the oXygen XML
Editor plugin and the OpenJDK JVM. This has already been tested and
works on the current Mac OS X operating systems independent from the
Apple JVM. This may very well be the new oXygen distribution for Mac OS
X 10.7.

2. If things go as they should, Oracle will pick up where Apple left off
and will provide a JVM for the Mac, with full AWT/Swing integration. In
this case, the standalone oXygen distribution will continue its
existence on the Mac OS X platform in its current form, possibly with
the JVM built-in to make it work out-of-the-box.

So, unless Apple completely closes Mac OS X to Java applications, which
is very unlikely, Oxygen will continue to have a Mac OS X distribution
that integrates as well as possible with the operating system and its
graphical interface.

Regards,
Adrian

Adrian Buza